Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5mm super flux

New Member HID Newbie
    iI dont want handouts bro I built many many regular 5mm 2 prong led taillights just cant figure out the wirng with the 4 prongs I have tired it all = to = neg neg jsut wont light up

Senior Member HID KING
    Whats the problem exactly? The leds have 4 leads. It has a pair of negative and a pair of positive leads, and they are connected to each other internally. You don't have to use all 4, you can just use 2, but if you do use all 4, it better extracts the heat from the led. If you look down into the clear package, it should be very easy to see which leads are connected to each other.

Use your digital multimeter in diode check mode and try both ways until you identify which leads are which (and to see if the led actually works.)

If that many leds are giving you trouble, start with just one, then 2 then 4. So for a series connection, take the positive lead from your battery, regulator etc, whatever your power source is and connect it to positive of that led. Then connect the negative lead of that same led, (LED1) to the positive lead of the next led (LED2) then finally the negative lead of LED 2 back to ground, or the negative side of your battery. Those leds are series wired. If you like, to the same with another pair. They too are series wired. Then, take the first pair and connect the positive lead of LED1 to the positive lead of LED3 and the negative lead of LED2 to the negative lead of LED4. Those pairs are now wired parallel to each other. That is 2S2P wiring. Remember though that each series string should have it's OWN resistor. Do not parallel wire the strings and bypass the individual resistors. You can choose to have the resistors on the positive side of the leds, or the negative, it doesn't really matter, just connect the parallel strings before the resistors if you place them in front of the led, or after the resistors if you place them after.

The diagram Soundman posted is exactly as I describe.

Here is another view, in schematic form instead, of only 4 leds to simplify it.
    2x2.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VegasF6; April 27th, 2012 at 09:42 PM.

New Member HID Newbie
    thanks for your help thats what i will do crazy i cant figure out the 5mm super flux, i have built 5 led panels using the regular 2 prong leds

New Member HID Newbie
    i used a garage battery that have + and - to test then i solder them up hooked to battery no light up crazy

Senior Member HID KING
    Well your obviously doing something wrong, but I can't tell what. You have given us nothing to go on.
    Instead of a car battery, why don't you start with 1 LED and 2 AA batteries. Just use 2 of the leads and treat them like DIP LEDs. Either your shorting them out, over powering them, over heating them, hooking them up backwards.....

New Member HID Newbie
    well vegas F6 thank you I think i finally figured it out, but cant how to bring this up but this is how I wired exactly like this if u dont mind to look http://www.rcaz.com/images/electroni...x_diagrams.pdf Only only crazy question I have is where it says the positve end on the left side and the neg end right side hooked up to battery nothing switched the wires they lit up is this right TY TY

Senior Member HID KING
    Dnice,
    I am glad you were able to get your leds to light up. When you are having trouble remove as many factors as you can, make it as simple as possible and go from there

I don't mean any offense when I ask this question, but is English your native language?

If you got them to light up, then it's right. They only work one way. I always test my LEDs with a low power source, like a DMM set to diode or a small battery to figure out which is anode and which is cathode. The data sheet for your particular LED should show you which is which, IE there should be a physical indicator like a longer and shorter lead, or a dot on the package, or something else to indicate which is which. But, there are SO many cheap products coming in from overseas with no literature that you can't depend on this. So, what you are saying is that the leds you have when you look down inside of them the side that has the little holes actually connects to the negative end of your battery and the side without holes connects to the positive? On the diagram you linked, which is for a genuine Lumiled superflux LED it's the opposite. There is a thread going right now about some of the superbright leds products are like that. There really is no industry standard. Yes, it's unusual, but not unheard of.
    So, that's why you always want to test your leds with as low voltage as possible to get them to light up. They may be able to stand 5V reverse voltage, but 12V from a car battery will generally toast them.

Everything clear now?

New Member HID Newbie
    Yes english lol, USA well ordered from superbrightleds.com so what u are saying dont matter as long as they lit up TY again

Moderator HID FANATIC soundman98's Avatar
    exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lennon
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
    2001 Eclipse led conversion, high power led reverse light conversion (dead), led reverse light-revision 2 done!

note to self, winter sucks
    my 2014 brz