Thread: About to do a 1999 Ford Ranger Retrofit this summer, any tips?

New Member HID Newbie

About to do a 1999 Ford Ranger Retrofit this summer, any tips?

Hey guys, this summer I'm going to do my first retrofit for my 1999 Ford Ranger. I was thinking about going with this complete kit from RFS, http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=141. With 50W 4300k bulbs or 5000k with a 9007 relay. I was wondering if anyone has any tips on this retrofit since it will be my first. I want to get all the research done and then I'm going to attempt it. I am going to use a headlight bucket like this http://www.amazon.com/Depo-331-1160PXUS-Ranger-Diamond-Headlight/dp/B005XRPAGO/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Ranger|696&n=1568418 1&s=automotive&Make=Ford|54&Year=1999|1999&vehicle Type=automotive&newCar=1&carId=002.

Thank you guys,

Any tips is really appreciated.

Senior Member HID MASTER Michelin Man's Avatar
    All I can really say is take your time, make sure you dedicate a decent amount of time to get them fitted. As some people have rushed retrofits and used JB Weld to hold in their projectors and they came out aimed incorrectly or broke something.

With that kit you pretty much have everything you need in terms of parts.

I hope you have a dremel and the different bits handy.

Make sure you make use of the various How-To's on this forum, they'll come in handy.

New Member HID Newbie
    Thanks man,
    I'm going to buy a Dremel soon with a bunch of bits. Thats one thing i dont own lol.

BrokenVisaCard
    Get a corded dremel.

Cordless is great, but they don't last long at all unless you seem to have 10 battery packs laying around for it.

New Member HID Newbie
    I'm currently doing mine for my 99 Ford Ranger that I bought off from ebay. It had some sort of gray sealant, obviously not butyl sealant and was a pain to take apart. You will just need a lot of patience and a good heat gun if yours come with this kind of sealant. Also, I found that even using a 9007 adapter, the mini H1 didnt have a tight fit, I'll soon have to align the projectors and use some JB WELD. In other words, for our Rangers, installation is not a straight forward plug n play, but need some modifications, you'll have to be creative sometimes.

New Member HID Newbie
    I'm just going to bake the lights in the oven for a few mins then take them out and seperate them, thats the easiest way I think. Plus im going to do a FXR retrofit.

New Member HID Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by moe2o4 View Post
    I'm just going to bake the lights in the oven for a few mins then take them out and seperate them, thats the easiest way I think. Plus im going to do a FXR retrofit.
    Initially I did that but after several times going back and forth to the oven, I gave up and decided to use a heat gun. Note that those permaseal hardens really fast as soon as it cools down, so constant heat is needed.

New Member HID Newbie
    I hope yours come with regular butyl sealnat, those gray sealant, or permaseal, or what ever it was, was a real PITA.