Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My 2005 Audi A4

Senior Member LORD XENON gearbox's Avatar
    yeah only the euro versions came with clear lens, and i believe most hid projectors over there did as well. we americans have some strange and outdated ideas about lighting lol. also remember the valeos were one of the first hid projectors and now close to 15 yrs old as far as the technology goes. still for their time they have an excellent cutoff and beam. a bit too much foreground compared to other units, but decently bright and wide. i got stuck with them due to my aftermarket housings where valeos were literally the only projector that would fit without any modding. but with everything cleaned up and new bulbs, they are very nice on a dark road. should hold me over until led headlight modules become cheaper and more available. i would certainly recommend osram svs or cbi bulbs for these projectors if you need more light but dont want to risk going to 50w ballasts or different projectors.

Quote Originally Posted by a4darkness View Post
    I've been hesitant to comment about said discovery (in that thread or the 3+ in the B6 section) but its been pretty apparent that lens swapping does little more than add some aesthetic value. Many of the factors that gearbox has mentioned come into play as well so it makes it quite difficult to make a clear determination of what's better or more effective... or not. The recent threads in the B6 section concerning lens swapping where very anticlimactic in that the results were certainly not apparent that all the effort involved in a lens swap made a serious difference. Better? Yes. But IMO not worth all the effort.

Regardless, that thread in the B5 section has a stellar amount of info and is perfect for many of the B5ers suffering from decreased light output (for whatever the reason). Point being, for most of them anything new (including lenses) will be better than the original projectors + housings.

Good to know, I'll pass that along to some friends interested in this retro.

gearbox, I fully agree that there are so many factors that can affect light output and subsequently pictures of it. This is rarely brought up (even more so outside of HID Planet) and should be more often. When I discovered my OEM housings were fairly dirty on the inside (both outer cover and projector) it occurred to me that many ppl who'd switched from DOT housings to newer, far cleaner Ecodes were also noticing a difference due to their condition.

Also, the B5 S4 HIDs do come with clear lenses. Unsure if those were Euro spec only or DOT as well, but that's been verified an documented on Audizine.
    All U.S. B5 S4 projectors use a Fresnel lens (non frosted) All Valeo Euro projectors for the B5 S4 are clear with a purple tint. So in my case I saw almost no difference in light output against a wall but I still feel that the sharp cut off helps when you're driving, unless it's just in my head haha. I can see going from a frosted lens to a clear lens making a huge difference though.
    2007 Nissan Titan SE - Gas guzzling daily
    2006 Honda 919 - Because Race Bike
    1994 Jeep ZJ - Zombie Assault Vehicle

Junior Member HID Newbie a4darkness's Avatar
    I agree about the sharp cutoff... Ecode housings make all the difference. As for the lenses, I've never seen the comparos in person but perhaps a better way of saying it was that considering the build up in some of those threads, the before / after pics of lens swaps looks rather underwhelming. Again, they appeared to be an improvement over the stock B6 lenses but when pressed for a concrete evaluation most of the guys who'd done it stated there was marginal improvement at best. However, in a previous model with older equipment the change would certainly be more apparent. Hope that makes more sense. Bottom line, if I had to pull my housings apart and knew replacement lenses would be a direct fit + no focal issues (if that's the term) I'd likely do it anyway. Any improvement is worth it to me.
    - Thomas

2003 Audi A4
    Audi OEM D2S Single Xenon Ecode Housings - CBI lows, Osram Offroad H7 64217 highs, iJDMTOY H6W LED City Lights
    Hella Micro DE Fogs with 35w Moritomo 3Five + 35w Morimoto 5K HC3's

Quote Originally Posted by a4darkness View Post
    I agree about the sharp cutoff... Ecode housings make all the difference. As for the lenses, I've never seen the comparos in person but perhaps a better way of saying it was that considering the build up in some of those threads, the before / after pics of lens swaps looks rather underwhelming. Again, they appeared to be an improvement over the stock B6 lenses but when pressed for a concrete evaluation most of the guys who'd done it stated there was marginal improvement at best. However, in a previous model with older equipment the change would certainly be more apparent. Hope that makes more sense. Bottom line, if I had to pull my housings apart and knew replacement lenses would be a direct fit + no focal issues (if that's the term) I'd likely do it anyway. Any improvement is worth it to me.
    The best thing you can do for an "older" Audi projector is clean the lenses. They are always coated in dirt by this age.
    2007 Nissan Titan SE - Gas guzzling daily
    2006 Honda 919 - Because Race Bike
    1994 Jeep ZJ - Zombie Assault Vehicle

Senior Member HID Learner
    Before I swapped out my halogen DOT projectors, I did notice the lenses were dirty and frosty within the inside. Been using E-codes for awhile now, though not as new as projectors of today, they do light up a 5 lane highway pretty well, though the light intensity does fall off a bit at the extreme wide edges. I can only imagine what the other drivers are thinking when I pull along them or pass them and they can no longer see their headlights on the road anymore. CBI bulbs are great, though I would like to compare them somehow to the all LED headlights of the new A6,7, and 8.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody5788 View Post
    The best thing you can do for an "older" Audi projector is clean the lenses. They are always coated in dirt by this age.
    Couldn't agree more. And this is even more so with mine as the housings weren't properly sealed for a while. Real bummer. At this time I'd rather not experiment on the housings and open them up. Perhaps over the summer when they're replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by maxblu5 View Post
    Before I swapped out my halogen DOT projectors, I did notice the lenses were dirty and frosty within the inside. Been using E-codes for awhile now, though not as new as projectors of today, they do light up a 5 lane highway pretty well, though the light intensity does fall off a bit at the extreme wide edges. I can only imagine what the other drivers are thinking when I pull along them or pass them and they can no longer see their headlights on the road anymore. CBI bulbs are great, though I would like to compare them somehow to the all LED headlights of the new A6,7, and 8.
    It's comments like this that are making it difficult for me to be patient installing mine... Ecodes are sitting right here on my table. ;-) But I want to get new door seals and check for any leaks as they're kinda old. Well, that and wait for the CBIs to arrive.
    - Thomas

2003 Audi A4
    Audi OEM D2S Single Xenon Ecode Housings - CBI lows, Osram Offroad H7 64217 highs, iJDMTOY H6W LED City Lights

I'm assuming you got the single xenon ecodes?

Yup! Really stoked. CBI's just arrived along with some Osram 65w H7's for highs and LED city lights w/built in resistors. I want to get some new seals for the doors though, so they're not quite ready to go in yet.

Quote Originally Posted by maxblu5 View Post
    I'm assuming you got the single xenon ecodes?
    - Thomas

2003 Audi A4

^^ Did you ever put them in yet, your headlights?

Sadly, not yet. I still need to order rear doors - to acquire some new seals - and equally important address a slight internal haze in the pass side Ecode. I'm going to have to pull the internals, rinse the housing out and re-seal the body... something I'm really not looking fwd to.
    - Thomas

2003 Audi A4