Thread: brightest headlights possible...sylvania zXe?

brightest headlights possible...sylvania zXe?

I need to know, should i spend money on the Sylvania zXe's or should a purchase another kind of bulbs..ive had HID's im over them i dont want them in my car. can anyone please help and let me know the best kind of bulbs out there right now...im looking for white/blue tint doesent matter i just want something not stock.

Senior Member HID Guru
    Sylvania Silverstar Ultras will give the best output, albeit a much shorter lifespan.

I would look for osram bulbs, philips xp80's are nice too... what size bulb?

AKA Jimmy K

Senior Member HID Rookie
    tint = poor output

Stay away.

Senior Member LORD XENON gearbox's Avatar
    stay far away from sylvania stuff. the zxe and ultras are garbage. you want philips XV or XP (xp is the slightly dimmer version if you cant afford the better ones) from www.powerbulbs.com right now they are the brightest 55w road legal halogen bulb on the market. the osram nightbreakers are a close second if you want more of a whiter light (the bulb does have some blue tint, but not around the filament so the brightness is not affected).

Senior Member HID MASTER PedroDaGr8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaboyajian View Post
    I need to know, should i spend money on the Sylvania zXe's or should a purchase another kind of bulbs..ive had HID's im over them i dont want them in my car. can anyone please help and let me know the best kind of bulbs out there right now...im looking for white/blue tint doesent matter i just want something not stock.
    Some notes about getting the brightest halogen headlights possible:
    1) If you want the brightest avoid ANY with a tint to the bulb. Tints work by absorbing light which then shifts the output. So by inherent design they are dimmer than an equivalent untinted bulb.
    2)You don't mention what bulb type you are using but if you have a type where real HIR bulbs are an option those will be the brightest possible.
    3) A relay harness from the battery to your halogen bulbs can give a sizable increase in output. This is because most stock harnesses have a pretty sizable voltage drop due to long wires which are also pretty thin. Output for bulbs is exponential with respect to voltage, so a 5% drop in voltage means a 17% drop in output, while by the time you reach a 10% drop you have lost over 30% of your output. [Citation]
    4) Catz Zeta will boost the output even further. They are essentially a DCC boost converter and they step the voltage up to a higher value than stock. Just as before where the decrease is exponential with respect to voltage. Increases are ALSO exponential with respect to voltage. Gearbox is a big proponent of these for people who want to keep their stock halogens. A combination of HIR and Catz Zeta can have an output level almost to the level of HIDs, though unlike an HID kit, the bulb is still a standard halogen bulb so the reflector is designed for it.

Especially, if you combine them

Senior Member HID Guru
    ^^ pedro, I'm interested. I have H11 bulb size, where can I get the catz? Its almost winter and I think I need to get rid of my 5K pNp kit. or can someone direct me a link? thanks

Senior Member LORD XENON gearbox's Avatar
    ebay, just search for 'catz zeta' and there are 'open box' new kits for around $50. pm me with your email if you want the install info. you do need to splice wires directly to the fog bulbs tho. with h11 (50w, 1250 lumen) you could just mod an h9 bulb (65w, 2100 lumen) and get similar results. its a minor mod that involves shaving one of the bulb base tabs. its only 10w more so stock wiring can handle them.

Senior Member HID Learner 1rebmem's Avatar
    Here is the Catz Zeta currently being sold by "jcatz872" on ebay for $50.

He was the only seller I found when I bought mine this summer.
    These ballasts boost the voltage to whatever bulbs you wire them too.
    Easy to wire once you know how.
    I also got bulbs from him. Great seller, very helpful, good communication.

FYI: Catz is the manufacturer. Zeta is the product line.

ZETABling2[1].jpg

Senior Member HID Learner
    Well, if you have H11, you can use H9 with a bit of modding, H9 being brighter than H11.