Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New from Sylvania: SilverStar zXe

Senior Member HID KING
    Quote Originally Posted by kenghk View Post
    I put the Silverstar Ultras in my wife's Golf and they're brighter and make the lines on the road and street signs pop. I bet the zXe's would offer even more contrast then the Ultras and offer more distiction to objects on the road. Marketing , light nerds like us and old facts aside, the common consummer would find benefit to these bulbs. My wife commented on a marked improvement when I put them in.

I went from Philips + bulbs to the Oscam CBI D2S capsules in my car and the higher color temp makes everything stand out.

Verdict? Most of you are guilty of headlight bulb racism.....you see that it's colored and hate it without even getting to know it.

*I'm bored at work
    Just because it looks brighter and whiter does not mean that it really is. The human eye is not a good judge of bulb performance in this regard. A whiter light will almost always appear brighter when in fact it may not be. Objective testing, which is quite different from your subjective testing, has proven that the Sylvania Silverstar line is not as bright as other non-coated bulbs of good quality.

Then there's the issue of the age and type of bulbs in your wife's Golf that you replaced. Halogen bulbs, just like HID, dim over time. A 1 year old halogen bulb loses up to 20% of its brightness. Bulbs installed by the automaker are usually long life bulbs that are quite a bit dimmer than non long life bulbs to begin with. I replace my halogen bulbs with like halogen bulbs every year. The difference in brightness is astounding.

Likewise with your CBIs. The whiteness of the CBI can fool the eye into thinking they're brighter than your old bulbs. So can the age and condition of the old bulbs.

See Scheinwerfermann's posts here for more info on the human eye and whiteness: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...r-lights/page4

Senior Member HID KING
    Quote Originally Posted by RSM View Post
    Thats most likely because none of us have seen a blue coated bulb that was any good.
    Agreed

Senior Member HID Recruit
    its the same old sond and dance.....pretty sure the only way people judge bulbs is WITH their eyes. It is what it is, if it appears brighter then it is.

I'm not saying that most coated bulbs are good but newer products from Osram, Sylvania and GE are good at being able to produce good output with higher color temps.

________
    I MADE ME

Senior Member HID KING
    its the same old sond and dance.....pretty sure the only way people judge bulbs is WITH their eyes. It is what it is, if it appears brighter then it is.

I'm not saying that most coated bulbs are good but newer products from Osram, Sylvania and GE are good at being able to produce good output with higher color temps.
    Your lack of knowledge on how the human visual system works is why you think way.

Senior Member HID Recruit
    i understand the eye and wavelength approaching green on the yellow side and so on but what you're missing is how the brain uses the information collected by the eye. Precieved brightness IS brightness.

________
    I MADE ME

Senior Member HID KING
    i understand the eye and wavelength approaching green on the yellow side and so on but what you're missing is how the brain uses the information collected by the eye. Precieved brightness IS brightness.
    Except that it's not. A study done several years ago clearly showed that whiter light of fewer lumens than less white light was actually perceived to be brighter while in fact it was dimmer.The light that was preceived to be brighter based on color could not illuminate pylons as far away as the light that was preceived to be dimmer. The human eye/brain is literally fooled by whiter light. This is precisely what happens with Silverstar lights. I'll see if I can dig up a link to the study for you assuming it's not behind an expensive paywall.

Ever look on the packaging of Silverstar lights? This is what's written about their alleged superior brightness:

Claims based on measured comparisons between SilverStar and SilverStar Ultra product families at 100% light output and standard halogen bulbs at 80% light output. Actual performance may vary by product use, vehicle model and usage.
    In other words Sylvania knows that testing the Silverstar against other halogen bulbs run at the same voltage as Silverstars results in the Silverstars falling way behind in the brightness test.

Info on the zXe: http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...SilverStarzXe/

The zXe's claim to fame is only that it contains xenon (which all good halogen bulbs do anyway) and that it's the whitest halogen in the Sylvania lineup. No claims made about it being brighter than anything else. I wonder why? Given the way Sylvania likes to tout the brightness of their bulbs, albeit in a deceitful way, one has to wonder why they make no brightness claims about the zXe.

You didn't mention whether or not you are comparing the output of the new bulbs in your wife's car to old/used halogen bulbs or to brand new halogen bulbs. Because there is a huge difference here. And a comparison of a new bulb with an old bulb is not a fair nor compelling comparison at all.
    Last edited by Markus; January 6th, 2012 at 08:54 AM.

anyone try these out yet? im looking at H3 for my lower fogs.

Senior Member HID Learner
    Quote Originally Posted by fibercarbon View Post
    anyone try these out yet? im looking at H3 for my lower fogs.
    you do realize how old this thread is, right? Nobody has updated for a reason.

the best judge is yourself.... pick up a pair of the zXE bulbs from your local Walmart.... if they don't look brighter, take them back. That's what I did.

Senior Member HID Rookie a7xschecter6661's Avatar
    they are junk, the Ultras are brighter, the ZXEs are WHITER

stock left, zxe right

real lights v
    2013 Tacoma: FX-R 2.5"/5000k 5Five/Apollo Shrouds/Black Housing
    2011 Focus: Mini H1/4300k XB35/Mini Gatling Shrouds/Chrome housing

Senior Member HID Learner
    Quote Originally Posted by a7xschecter6661 View Post
    they are junk, the Ultras are brighter, the ZXEs are WHITER

stock left, zxe right

the only halogens that can come close to the brightness of HIDs are my former 130w H4 bulbs. they were extremely hot and I had to swap the headlight housing for glass ones, as well as bulb socket/base made out of ceramic materials. (also took a toll on the car's electrical system whenever I fired them up)

as for the Sylvanias, the zXe is brighter than the Ultras. "brighter" may not be the right word... the zXe was able to light up more street signs(like squirrel spotters) the Ultras were brighter on the ground. I threw away the Ultras and kept the zXe bulbs. It's necessary because my county's safety inspection stations are super an*l and check EVERYTHING.... so I had to put the zXe bulbs in and disconnect the HID setup the day before the annual inspection.... the inspectors are even required to take off all four wheels and measure the brake calipers and rotors for thickness.... one Jiffy Lube near me skipped that step and had their state inspector license revoked in November.... They also inspect the headlights for correct aim..... bad aim = pink failed inspection sticker on the windshield... they don't allow you to correct it there... you have to get it adjusted and come back the next day for re-inspection(another $3.50)