Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New from Sylvania: SilverStar zXe

Senior Member HID Guru

New from Sylvania: SilverStar zXe

Obviously the lowercase/uppercase/lowercase fab is still "in" so to be cool Sylvania USA just released a new bulb in the Silverstar line. Its call the zXe and is available in 9003, 9004, 9005, 9006, 9007, H7 and H11. They feature a bluer tint and even more powerful (approaching the DOT limits, no doubt) filament. Of course on the back in teeny tiny letters it states: "The SilverStar zXe is the ultimate in high performance lighting from Sylvania. Therefore, the longetivity of this bulb is very short compared to others. Sylvania guarantees you 100% satisfaction from this product or your money back within 12 months of purchase."

Now, I'm temped to buy these, and burn them as much as possible (in the process doing a well informed review) and when they burn out, claim my refund! However, I've already decided my first impression and with the heavy blue filter, "HID ATTITUDE / XENON FILLED" logo across the top, I can only imagine what they put out.

Here they are:

I have only seen them at Advanced Discount Auto. AutoZone, O'Reillys nor Wal-Mart carry them. All bases were priced at $59.99 excl. tax and surprisingly the only ones that were being bought were the 9007s. In fact, they sold all five of them this week. None of the others have been bought. That worries me because that means either the Dodge or Ford rednecks running around North Florida are going to be burning ricer lights as their stock-aimed lights are pointed sky-high with their lift kits.

I do admit, I am tempted to give them a shot to prove me wrong.
    There are two kinds of light - the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures. -James Thurber

50W 5000K FX-R 2.1 Projectors | Retrofitted Philips LumiLEDs in all rear lamps | 60" Plasmaglow Fire & Ice

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity-x View Post
    SO WHY IN THE WORLD ARE YOU SPENDING $650 SO FAR ON HEADLIGHTS YOU AREN'T EVEN GOING TO USE??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????? THATS LIKE ORDERING DINNER FOR YOUR DOG AT OLIVE GARDEN.

Senior Member HID KING
    I saw these too. As nicely designed and appealing the box is, once I saw the blue coating I lost all hope in these bulbs. In my opinion unless this is some "advanced newfound halogen xenon technology".. I doubt they will be any better than the other blue coated bulbs.

Senior Member HID Rookie
    I love that first picture, it's the exact same photo, just color shifted in a photo editing program (hell, could probably do that with white balance settings on a camera).

Blue tint on a bulb is instantly garbage. Plus them saying "XENON FUELED" is complete marketing BS as it's simply one of the noble gasses used in the bulbs and has no effect (the halogen additives are what do the work, the noble gasses are the suspension).

I really hope some day some lawsuit shines some light on this crap...

THIS^

Even with xenon added, I was pretty sure it was only krypton that added to the life of the filament. This just makes uneducated people think they're HIDs. Like when your go on ebay and search 9006 and you get 100000 pages of "HID bulbs 500000000000K" that are really just cheap halogens with blue plastic around them. Sylvania's going lame on us

New Member HID Newbie
    So no doubt they are whiter than SilverStar Ultra, but I bet they put out less lumens as well, trying to filter through that blue coating.

I heard they use the HIR technology a bit, heating the element to increase output with color temp and not losing lumens. Is that true?

Brightening Up Your Day LORD XENON gold94corolla's Avatar
    yeah, Sylvania doesn't put out good products anymore. Not that they ever really did. Just marketing! And for that price, geez you could get 2 HID kits. Who are they fooling? Although V-LEDs does a good job fooling people to paying their prices lol.

Senior Member LORD XENON gearbox's Avatar
    haha i saw these at the local autozone today. what a joke. $60 for blue tinted bulb? i nearly shat myself. you can get way better bulbs for half the price. thats almost what we pay for a pair of new d2s philips bulbs.

Senior Member HID Recruit Ro7orKopf's Avatar
    I actually tried these out in my 02 Mustang. Luckily, I didn't pay for them. The color looks good, might be slightly whiter than the Ultras, but output is very poor. Granted the Mustang uses 9007 which is garbage to begin with, but I quickly changed them out after a drive down some dark WV back roads. It was difficult to see with them. I swapped them out for the Xtravisions and it was a big improvement. Of course they were much yellower but the output on the road is so much better. I still have them though and can probably get some comparisons if I can figure out decent settings on my dad's camera.
    1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - Stock halogen for now - DAILY DRIVER
    2012 Mazda 3i Touring Skyactiv - Black Series Clear Lenses, blocked squirrel finders, DDM kit, 9011 HIR1 high beams - SOLD
    2011 Mazda 2 Sport - Mini D2S 1.0, E46-R shrouds, Osram Xenarc bulbs - First retrofitted Mazda 2 in North America
    http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...it-your-Mazda2 - TOTALED
    2005 Kia Spectra EX - Mini D2S 1.0, E55-R shrouds, Morimoto 3Five 5000K bulbs - TOTALED

Senior Member HID Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by circa27 View Post
    I heard they use the HIR technology a bit, heating the element to increase output with color temp and not losing lumens. Is that true?
    Doubt it. Considering the HIR's usually go for $40 a piece at least...