Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shroud Paint

Senior Member HID Nut TrakTuned's Avatar

Shroud Paint

I am finally getting my retro rolling and want some info before gathering all my supplies!
    So questions questions.......I have some e55's and I need shrouds to keep them from leaking light all over the place. I will be using some apollos and I want to color match them to my car (silver).
    • Will I need to use high heat paint on my shrouds? on the outside not inside where light hits them.
    • OR can I use standard spray paint and bake them...?
    I see a lot of people with painted shrouds and i cant imagine that all the various colors are high heat paint...
    Thanks!

Senior Member HID KING
    I used OEM body matched PPG paint (white) on my first retro. Its been almost a year and they look just as good as day 1 still.

standard auto paint works just fine.

Senior Member HID Nut TrakTuned's Avatar
    Nice!! widen my options substantially... Do I need to cure them through any process, or just paint and install?

Let them cure full before installing.

In the works: LS460 | SVS | Morimoto 5Five | Hella 60mm | Toshiba HIR

Junior Member HID Newbie
    Whats the point of painting them? I thought you couldn't see the shrouds anyway?
    Lifes a laughand death is the joke.

Moderator HID FANATIC soundman98's Avatar
    ^the shrouds are to cover up the projector assembly, and add a little style...

just be sure to dechrome them before painting-- my gatling guns took a good 3-4 hours in oven cleaner to get dechromed(the oven cleaner method means you don't need to sand the texture out of the shroud)..

i used the krylon plastic paint, and it came out really good(the red stripe is standard rattlecan-red though.)

Quote Originally Posted by John Lennon
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
    2001 Eclipse led conversion, high power led reverse light conversion (dead), led reverse light-revision 2 done!

my 2014 brz(the totaled mess)
    the new whip
    '14 brz2, "Chance the Goldfish"
    "The past is determined, the future is what we make of it"

Senior Member HID Nut
    I just litely scuff the chrome with 1000 grit sp....wet of course and after a cleaning...use duplicolor adhesion promoter and then I was using duplicolor perfect match...but the weather is giving me a no on that one so now I am using rustoleum wheel paint...goes on very smooth with no orange peel. Only 4 colors available though

Quote Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
    ^the shrouds are to cover up the projector assembly, and add a little style...

just be sure to dechrome them before painting-- my gatling guns took a good 3-4 hours in oven cleaner to get dechromed(the oven cleaner method means you don't need to sand the texture out of the shroud)..

i used the krylon plastic paint, and it came out really good(the red stripe is standard rattlecan-red though.)

that is so weird.......I just did a set with a red ring on 'em too!

Moderator HID FANATIC soundman98's Avatar
    lol... but mine were painted as a hid-correct copy of my first set of aftermarket lights! (i did these about 2-3 years ago):

it looks like you ground down the outside to better fit the projector--i'm guessing a fx-r? any details on how you did that?

though, on a red vehicle, i think that a accent ring like this is the perfect way to accent a dark housing without going tacky.. i had considered painting all the 'ridges' red as well..
    Last edited by soundman98; July 19th, 2011 at 08:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lennon
    The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time.
    2001 Eclipse led conversion, high power led reverse light conversion (dead), led reverse light-revision 2 done!

my 2014 brz(the totaled mess)
    the new whip
    '14 brz2, "Chance the Goldfish"
    "The past is determined, the future is what we make of it"