Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1996 Ford Bronco Morimoto H1 Retrofit

Senior Member HID Guru offroadkarter's Avatar

1996 Ford Bronco Morimoto H1 Retrofit

Alright, here are some shots of my first ever projector retrofit... It's not perfect, it doesn't rival a TL or S2K AP1, but I'm really happy with it. I can actually see things now and I have a real high beam back.

I believe my drivers side projector suffers from the sloping MH1 cutoff, but its minor and doesn't really bother me right now... I used the 9007 adapters and got the alignment as straight as I could by eye. I think it came out great for a first time. Opening the housing and resealing it was definately the BIGGEST pain in the ass EVER, by far it is not a professional job... You can see sealant if you look up close and some nicks and one lens has some minor heat cracks from the heat gun, but I'll take that and my projector output over my old PnP HID's any day of the year.

Preparing the specimen for projection eye surgery

Test fit

I want to point out two things here

One, this housing was a practice, thats why the side of it looks like ass... This one suffered from the failed oven method.

Two, the chair I put the housing on was really wobbly, so if the cutoff looks crooked, blame the chair

Vs PnP

MH1 left, PnP right

All mounted up

And finished!

Both done, outside picture time... I started this at 10:30am, and finished at 11:00Pm... Ouch!

Ignore the HID block to the far left, that was a nissan rogue next to me

Yes, my housings cast some funky glare, but its nothing an oncoming driver sees, just typical stupid light leaking...

I still have to make the housings even with the grille and all, so its not 100% perfect alignment, and honestly they are aimed really low right now also, but so far I love the light output. Hopefully my lenses dont fall off driving down the road
    Last edited by offroadkarter; May 9th, 2011 at 11:30 PM.

1996 Ford Bronco - Morimoto Gen 3 H1 / 3Five Ballasts / Morimoto 5000K H1 / Generic 9007 harness
    2004 Mercury Marauder - Morimoto FX-R 1.1 / 3Five Ballasts / Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI / TRS HD 9007 harness
    1985 BMW 745i - ECE Halogens Woo Hoo

Junior Member HID Newbie
    Dude it looks great! Nice work!

You need to do the 25ft 1-2" drop rule to get the height set right.

Great job!

2003 silverado (Click Here to see the retrofit)
    QUAD MH1's with JVX mods in OE style headlamps (um.. yes they fit!)
    XB35 5000K
    3Five ballasts
    Quad Off Road 130W halogen spots (in sig)
    Two 55W yellow Fogs

1999 Tahoe
    OEM headlamps....for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Motohid View Post
    Dude it looks great! Nice work!

You need to do the 25ft 1-2" drop rule to get the height set right.

Great job!
    Thanks!

Yes, I need to fit the housings in better then I can re aim it, one sticks out a bit... I go thru this anytime I take them out an in, just have to adjust the mounts a bit. I'm loving it so far though

1996 Ford Bronco - Morimoto Gen 3 H1 / 3Five Ballasts / Morimoto 5000K H1 / Generic 9007 harness
    2004 Mercury Marauder - Morimoto FX-R 1.1 / 3Five Ballasts / Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI / TRS HD 9007 harness

Junior Member HID Newbie
    Looks awesome. A few questions
    1) Any pictures in the daytime, want to see how they look
    2) What glue did you use to reseal the housings?
    3) Did you use the Hi/Low wiring harness from your previous PNP kit to control them?
    4) Do they shake or vibrate at all when driving?
    5) Do you have pics of the order of all the adapters, and how you put them in?

Looking forward to do mine on memorial day weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Tcmglx View Post
    Looks awesome. A few questions
    1) Any pictures in the daytime, want to see how they look
    2) What glue did you use to reseal the housings?
    3) Did you use the Hi/Low wiring harness from your previous PNP kit to control them?
    4) Do they shake or vibrate at all when driving?
    5) Do you have pics of the order of all the adapters, and how you put them in?

Looking forward to do mine on memorial day weekend!
    1. I'll take some today

2. I went to NAPA and got window weld butyl, works awesome

3. Yes, but I am going to swap it out with the one from TRS since the one I have is a piece of crap. I had to jiggle the 9007 connector one time because the high beam would turn the projectors off

4. not at all, they are actually more stable then my old PnP bulbs which would shake with the high beam

5. No, but I just put the thinnest rubber washer on the projector, then into the housing, then the 9007 ring, then the lock nut then the bulb holder

Senior Member HID MASTER Blurred Talon's Avatar
    Looks good, is the rotation off though?

Also those are HUGE housings, mini looks so small in there. However the Mini is really easy for the first time retrofitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred Talon View Post
    Looks good, is the rotation off though?

Also those are HUGE housings, mini looks so small in there. However the Mini is really easy for the first time retrofitter.

I don't think so. Against a wall they look straight, I believe one of them has a sloping cutoff, or maybe both of them do.... I am going to realign them tonight so I'll see what the story is. One of my housings is sticking out by a good 1/4" so i need to sit it flush with the grille and all and it should help to align them better

I would love to put a set of TL's or E55's in my housings, maybe one day when I get better at this.

Here are some daytime pics, I love how it looks

Last edited by offroadkarter; May 10th, 2011 at 03:12 PM.

Junior Member HID Newbie
    Thanks for the responses, and the pics!

That doesn't look too bad. The weird light pattern you're seeing on the garage is from the projector shield. I had the same problem. Even after I closed off all the holes I found that the large circle of light comes from the projector bowl. Nothing you can do about that one.

Junior Member HID Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by offroadkarter View Post
    Alright, here are some shots of my first ever projector retrofit... It's not perfect, it doesn't rival a TL or S2K AP1, but I'm really happy with it. I can actually see things now and I have a real high beam back.

Any reason you took apart the projector?
    Also, how did you align the projector once in there?

Just found out a business trip I had was canceled, so plenty of free time to work on this during the week!! WOO HOO!!!