Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: INSTALLED HID LIGHTS AND NOW MY AUTOMATIC LIGHTS DONT TURN ON AFTER DARK

New Member HID Newbie
    My honda does have automatic lights. Theres a sensor on the front of the dash and i even spoke to the dealer about them when i bought the car, first time buying a new car and had never heard of auto lights untill this car. I upgraded fro 96 civic to this new accord.
    Remmenber it a new 2011 Accord.
    The headlights lights would automatically turn on when it got darker and the interior light would also turn on.

ohh and yeah they did install straight to the cars harnest. They did not use any sort of relay , like the ones that ive seen that come with the kit.

Thanks again everyone for your posts and sorry bout posting in other thread,

Senior Member HID KING
    I think you're mistaken here. If you don't have a light switch with an "Auto" position then you don't have automatic headlights. You're not referring to daytime running lights are you?

Moderator HID FANATIC soundman98's Avatar
    weather you have automatic headlights or not, if you cannot manually illuminate the headlights, there is a problem. the first place you should turn to is the place that installed the hid kit--as you said, everything worked up until they performed the work on the car. if they act dumb, or try to blame it on something else, take it to the dealer, or your trusted mechanic, and revert to the stock layout.

also, you don't say weather the hid bulbs were installed in the high beam location, or the low beam location. there are some huge differences here as well-- the high beam is being used as the drl, at a lower output, and is a reflector housing-- so a hid bulb in this housing will blind everyone on the road when lit, though, because of the lower voltage that the car should use for the drl function, the hid bulb probably won't ignite while in the drl mode... and because the light is really not focused well, due to the different bulb types, and filament locations, you are really not gaining much benefit.

the low beam appears to be a projector--on a honda, i doubt it is hid-- honda usually reserves that for it's acura lineup. so that means that it is using a halogen source-- which puts you in a better, but similar condition as the high beam bowl-- because of the differing light sources, a hid light source would not get used to it's fullest extent because of the differing headlight designs required to correctly use the hid light source.

to everyone else: it seems that we are all going in circles-- he posted the same thing on the accord forums, and they are reaching similar conclusions(link in his first post--"hondaaccord")
    Last edited by soundman98; May 8th, 2011 at 09:32 PM.

Senior Member LORD XENON gearbox's Avatar
    he said the lo beams work normally when he uses the switch i believe. markus may be right, altho the op says whatever auto feature he had was working before the hids, and now its not. that sounds like it has a feature that turns the light on when it gets dark but im not familiar with accords. i have seen other newer cars that do not have an auto mode on the stalk yet still have photoactivated lights (which really annoys me because im smart enough to know when to use the lights and not just turn them on for 5 seconds going under a bridge and back off, esp bad for hids). posting a pic of the headlights and pointing to the hids would help quite a bit. the coupes have halogen projector lows but sedans have reflectors. both have separate hi beams that are halogen, so i seriously doubt the shop installed them in the hi beams and hes having drl issues. also like i said before, using stock wiring (usually 18-20 gauge) will screw over your entire lighting system if it hasnt already. the fact that the shop wired it like you say rasies doubts about their abilities working with hids to begin with. the way i see it, you have a problem that appeared after the hid install, therefore it is related to the install. almost always this turns out to be true. bring it back to the shop and let them figure it out. it may be they forgot to plug back the photosensor when they unplugged it to route the wiring who knows.

Senior Member HID KING
    Gearbox is right, my car is just like he described. It has 3 functions on the headlight stalk. Off (circle), parking lights, and then ON... but they are still automatic headlights which don't actaully have an automatic slot on the stalk, and once they turn on it is not possible to turn them off.

New Member HID Newbie
    hey guys thanks for the responses.

The Hids are installed in the lo beams headlights. the specs are 35W and 5.8amps input.

heres the link http://www.thehidfactory.com.

Also i figuered that all the electrical in regards to the "automatic" lights are all tied in together.

thanks all
    Last edited by zalez; May 8th, 2011 at 11:15 PM.

Senior Member LORD XENON gearbox's Avatar
    just take it back, they should know enough to have ideas why it happened. there is physically no difference between halogen and hid that would make the photosensor stop working. you could replace the headlight with a 5w mini bulb and it should still turn on when it gets dark.

Senior Member HID KING
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity-x View Post
    Gearbox is right, my car is just like he described. It has 3 functions on the headlight stalk. Off (circle), parking lights, and then ON... but they are still automatic headlights which don't actaully have an automatic slot on the stalk, and once they turn on it is not possible to turn them off.

Except that on the Accord there is no automatic light function when the switch is "Off". Zalez is mistaken. Per the 2011 owner's manual only Accords with an "Auto" position on the headlight switch have automatic lights.