Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate {Hella MICRO DE} FOG Upgrade: Halogen to HID (56k big no no)

Senior Member HID KING CateraMV6's Avatar

Post Ultimate {Hella MICRO DE} FOG Upgrade: Halogen to HID (56k big no no)

ULTIMATE HELLA MICRO DE FOG PROJECTORS UPGRADE GUIDE:

This will guide you how to convert your existing or new Hella MICRO Modules from Halogen to Xenon.

Q1. Why would I do that?
    A1. From personal testing the beam with the Halogen and Xenon power units is unaffected and remains the same, with very uniform hot spot and very even light distribution across the entire width.

Q2. What is the upgrade cost?
    A2. I purchased a HID Kit from DDM Tuning for $25 + Shipping so ~ $30.00

INSTALLATION:
    Lets begin with the parts list.

2) Hella Units with rubber boots and OEM H3 bulbs.
    2) HID Bulbs H3 (NOT H3C)
    2) Ballasts
    1) Torx set.
    1) Pin
    1) Screw Driver
    1) Knife.
    1) Any other tools you may think you need!

Step 1.
    Remove the original boot and bulb from the Hella Projectors.

Step 2.
    Unscrew the 3 screws holding the aluminium plate which also serves as a guide for the bulb.
    Note: Keep that plate, we will reuse it.

Step 3.
    Put the projector aside and grab the bulbs, next we will remove their connectors so that they may be installed in the original boot for the ultimate seal against dust and moisture.
    Start with the Ballast power wires and remove those.

Step 3.1
    Remove the two pins which are red in each of the connectors. For the male you will need to pull it from the side.
    For the female connector stick the needle through the back side and it will push it out. Try not to poke yourself.

Step 3.2
    Now take the push pin and stick it inside each connector, on top of the metal part there is a small tab that keeps the connector from backing out. YOu will use the pin to lift it while pulling the wire out of the connector. It should be a very simple operation if you push the wire in before you lift on the tab to release any pressure.

Step 3.3
    Now that the connectors are out remove the two rubber grommets that seal out moisture and or dust. They are very thin so be careful.

Step 3.4
    Now remove the original boot that came with your bulbs.

Step 3.5
    Take the OEM Hella boot and cut the wires to remove them from the boot.

Step 3.6
    Now slide your HID wires through the two holes. The fit is tight but they do fit.
    Then slide the boot about half way up the wire length, this should allow you to have enough slack to work with the installation of your bulbs.

Step 3.7
    Slide back your little weather seal grommets.

Step 3.8
    Snap the connector back in place. Note: you should hear a click once the metal part is all the way in. Also note the orientation of the tab and the location of the lock before you insert it.

Your connectors should look like this before you insert the locks.

This is how they should be once you are all set and done.

Step 4.
    Slide the bulb in.
    Note the orientation of the return wire. You can install them in one of two ways, I chose to install with the wire down to keep any ghost spots in the beam.

This is where you will use those washers to lock the bulb in place with the original screws.
    Take a look at the pictures and figure out what will work best for you. For me 3 different size washers worked perfectly.

You can also use just two mounting locations instead of three as seen in the picture below.

With everything secure you can pull the wires out a bit and then snap the cap back on... I left no more then 1.5" of wires between the cap and the bulb..

FINISHED RESULT!!!

No just because I know someone will ask what the output is like... here is the answer...

Also here is the hella size vs some of the other fog projectors out there..

Junior Member HID Newbie
    Some good and useful info here!

New Member HID Newbie
    Great post. I will be doing this as I have a set of DE's that I'll be taking off of a car I'll be getting rid of.

Senior Member HID Recruit dangeris's Avatar
    I converted my Hella De into HIDs when I had my FJ. It made quite a difference and that was in 07.

Where can one get a set of those Bosch Mini V1? What are the dimensions of those projectors. I'm thinking of retro-ing my fog lights on my 03 TL-S.
    2008 Nissan Altima Coupe 3.5

Im thinking of running quad MICRO DEs on a single bracket on each side of the car... both are equipped with DDM H3 4500k HID kits at 35W. Both on will make it impossible to drive but we will see how well they will perform in extreme weather.

New Member HID Newbie
    I've been looking to do this setup for a while since the Xenon version of the Hella Micro DE's is outrageously priced. How is the cut off of these compared to a "good" projector? I can't really tell.

Do you think these or the Blazer fogs would be a better option for a good cutoff and output? It seems like the Hella's more widely used.

Senior Member HID Guru
    Very cool
    There are two kinds of light - the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures. -James Thurber

50W 5000K FX-R 2.1 Projectors | Retrofitted Philips LumiLEDs in all rear lamps | 60" Plasmaglow Fire & Ice

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity-x View Post
    SO WHY IN THE WORLD ARE YOU SPENDING $650 SO FAR ON HEADLIGHTS YOU AREN'T EVEN GOING TO USE??????????????????????????????????????????????? ????? THATS LIKE ORDERING DINNER FOR YOUR DOG AT OLIVE GARDEN.

I think the hellas rock with HID and even in stock form they perform. The blazers have sharp cutoff but as far actual usable light on the road when the main lights are off they are not that good.

And the cutoff to be honest is not something thats that impressive when it sits so low to the road...