Thread: Can I run a HID in a reflector housing ?

New Member HID Newbie moflitchy's Avatar

Can I run a HID in a reflector housing ?

I'm just learning about HID and retro'ing so this is a definite noob question - I was wondering what the difference's are between a reflector bowl and a HID based bowl (mainly the shroud that sit's in front of the bulb) or is it on the backing lens that is reflecting the light that makes the difference in the light pattern ? I want to set up some HID's in my stock Halogen housings. oh yeah, I have a 2002 Subaru Legacy.
    to get started on the electrical portion I am going to run the relay harness, and mount the ballast to a set of D2R's in my Halogen stock lamps so at least I have the wiring and HID completed.
    What I am wondering is if I can modify the beam pattern some how in my stock housings, and would I be okay, or is it going to be scattered,and illuminating everywhere. I'm in the process of accumulating the necessary parts to attempt my first retro using some FXR projectors into a stock Legacy housing, but that will probably be in the near future. Any information is greatly appreciated, like I said I'm just learning about HID after weeks of reading through this forum's postings.

Senior Member HID Rookie
    If you plan to do retro with FX-R in the near future, wait till then. Now, just stick to your halogen headlights to save some money.
    Reflector halogen headlights usually don't take HID well, compared to projector halogen headlights. It is the backing lens that is reflecting light.
    2008 Toyota Camry LE I4
    S2K Retrofit Headlight - Osram 66240SVS
    TRD 18 Wheel, Navigation system
    LED-heat-fold Turn Signal Side Mirror w/ JDM Switch
    OEM fog light, integrating to Turn Signal Switch

Junior Member HID Newbie
    Here, in the Netherlands its allowed to use xenon bulbs into halogen units. But it can't compare with lens headlights. I should don't put hid's into a halogen headlight unit. Wait for the future till you can replace them with lenses like FXR's or something. HID in halogen headlights looking really ugly and are very bad for passing vehicles. You blind them completely.
    Last edited by Markie; January 8th, 2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Language faults

Senior Member LORD XENON gearbox's Avatar
    unfortunately the halogen reflector was not designed to handle hid output and focal point. its completely different technology. aside from more glare, you will not be getting much of that extra light to the ground where you need it.

well the other option I was wondering about is - I have a set of JDM Subaru OE HID headlights, but they are regular reflector housing, does not utilize a projector lense, but the reflector cover looks just like a halogen one. Since there from Japan, I know the light will be directed the wrong way since they are RHD, and I've seen on other forums where people have taken the JDM style lights and then blacken out certain areas of the backside of the headlight reflector to prevent alot of the bad blinding glare.
    I've seen the light output on these before on other cars, they're really not bad.......and I've been in other cars - such as a Prius that have HID in reflectors - light at night is better than most halogens IMO. Just wondering if there are any other options.
    Thanks for the info !
    Last edited by moflitchy; June 4th, 2011 at 06:52 PM.

Senior Member HID MASTER PedroDaGr8's Avatar
    Cars like the Prius have reflectors designed for HID, just like old benzes and a few others.

Well the JDM version of the 3rd gen Subaru Legacy in Japan came stock with HID in the low beam, it's just that they are setup for RHD. like these :
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-S...Q5fAccessories
    or like these
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JDM-99-04-Lega...#ht_1833wt_989

then I could black out certain areas on the back reflecting bowl and make sure I don't have too much light shooting out towards oncoming traffic....... oh, also the JDM come with a leveling switch so I can keep the lights pointed down more
    Last edited by moflitchy; January 9th, 2011 at 01:54 AM.

Senior Member HID MASTER PedroDaGr8's Avatar
    Ahh k, then yeah if you blackout the area that is responsible for the peak in the cutoff and just use a flat cutoff then you can use it. Yeah, I think most cars in japan have leveling switches.

personally though, for that much work. WHy not just wait to get the projectors and do a real retrofit which will be even better.

I know exactly what your saying, just figured it would give me some good practice / experience baking & prying my headlights apart to get in an play with the lamps. anyways, I figured the HID would still be better than the stocky Halogen setup.
    * I'm still a noob at this, I've baked a couple of lights apart and had some other old E55 / Audi projectors laying around that I was playing around with - mocking up into my girlfriends old Camry lenses that I swapped out. But Im figuring out how to wire my lights right now for setting up a single bulb / bixenon on my Legacy - since it is a GT I have a dual bulb setup stock in the housing, and going to the FXR's I only have enough room for one projector that is this big to fit, figured i would just run the shutter switch to my high beam switch - relay'd of course but just use the single 35W bulb in the FXR, and I'm gonna mount in a new set of Legacy L headlights which don't have the inner plastic trim to obstruct the projector.