Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CCFL Halos vs. LED Halos

Senior Member HID Recruit dangeris's Avatar

CCFL Halos vs. LED Halos

Just as the title reads, has anyone used LED halos for any of their projects? Specifically the type that has the surface mount LEDs. I've been using the CCFL halos and last night after I sealed one headlight, I energized the halos and only one works. I almost cried! Anyway, I'm just frustrated as now I have to order another set of halos and reopen the headlight. A couple of hours work yet again. I'm thinking if I switch to LEDs I wouldn't have this problem as they are not as fragile as CCFLs.

Senior Member HID Guru
    CCFL halos produce a nice continuous ring of light whereas the LEDs tend to produce a "pearl necklace" effect, where individual LEDs can be seen through the diffusing plastic. Here's an example of my LED angel eyes on my BMW taken with my DSLR with a faster shutter speed to show the effect (don't mind the one blown LED):

And with a longer exposure (taken with my cellphone):

One of the nicer things with LEDs is that you don't need an inverter box to attach or replace. It's just a +12v and ground that you can tap to anything.

Senior Member HID Recruit mcrews's Avatar
    Had I not installed Oracle CCFL halos 2 years ago in my 02 Infiniti Q45 headlamps, I would certainly NOT install them today. I would do an LED halo or an LED sting DRL. Even though the CCFLs are lifetime warrenteed from AAC, I still have to replace/repair/fiqure out what is wrong. I have broken 3 rings over the last 2 years because the placement of the rings in front of the chrome benzel is in conflict with the wires that run uot the back of the headlamp.
    IMHO, I would not concider CCFLs a 'plug n play' mod.

This actually looks a lot better than the CCFL! Is is as visible during the day as it is at night? Where do you guys buy them at and who has the best prices and customer support in case something goes wrong...

Senior Member HID MASTER StupidPig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dangeris View Post
    This actually looks a lot better than the CCFL! Is is as visible during the day as it is at night? Where do you guys buy them at and who has the best prices and customer support in case something goes wrong...
    ^^^ that's the pretty expansive LED halo, be prepared... hehe.

Oh BTW, remember that picture is in long exposure, the real look by eyes will be more like the first picture instead.

understood about the long exposure but from a distant it will look like the second pic. So are these sold in pairs or individually? And who would be a good source to purchase these from?

Senior Member HID Guru
    The one that I posted is sold by Khoalty.com for the e46 headlights. They come sold in two pairs so you get four rings in total. Price is fair at $50+shipping, although shipping is about $10 and the likelihood of you getting a 100% working set is slim unless you purchase an additional warranty. If you decide to buy the warranty, then just buy the Orion Lite from Umnitza for $60+shipping.

Senior Member LORD XENON gearbox's Avatar
    leds are just better all around. brighter (if you get the good smts), with optics can be evenly spread, works perfect below freezing, less power use, more reliable, can last forever if leds are good quality. less mess (no inverters) etc. in theory a well made ccfl in warm climates can be a good alternative, but ive never found anything that really lasts in the long run. and oems usually have a habit of using technology that works well and lasts. hence hundreds of cars with leds, and none with ccfl. maybe one or two models with neon.

Junior Member HID Newbie unZunDunR's Avatar
    I bought mine from hidguy.net.He/they pretty much gaurantee they will not burn out like "the other brands".
    Wired w/the ignition key, so they worked like DRL.Never had 1 LED blow.They're SMT type.Paid $85

Senior Member HID Recruit mcrews's Avatar
    wonder if he has some for the Q45????