Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED turn signals for my bike wont work

Junior Member HID Newbie

LED turn signals for my bike wont work

Hello. I just installed led flush mount turn signals on my bike this weekend and they won't work. I have an LED turn signal relay. I also have rear oem filament turn signals on my bike. When i turn the signal on, the relay clicks at the normal speed an the rear filament bulbs work fine. But, the front led's don't work. When i hook them up to the battery leads, they work. I tried to connect a 100 ohm resistor to see if the load was the issue, but nothing happened. Any ideas?? thanks

what brand are they? I had a similar problem on mine, i was using a lockhart phillips flasher relay and i have led on front and rear, my rear turn signals were very very dim you could barely seem them, i ditched the flasher relay and all is well now except i have a fast flash...try taking out the relay
    NO SQUID HERE

my feedback;
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37426

my first led project; Toyota Pickup fr turn signals
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...842&highlight=

Toyota pickup retro, 7x6
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...tro-with-MH1-s

Banned HID Recruit
    pos and neg mixed?

Junior Member HID Newbie
    thanks for the advice guys, it was just a grounding issue. They work great now.

Senior Member HID Learner
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRrider
    what brand are they? I had a similar problem on mine, i was using a lockhart phillips flasher relay and i have led on front and rear, my rear turn signals were very very dim you could barely seem them, i ditched the flasher relay and all is well now except i have a fast flash...try taking out the relay
    Do load resistors do the same thing with dimming them? My turn signals aren't as bright as they are connected straight to the battery. Maybe I should try taking the load resistors out because i'd rather have them blink fast then be dim.

|Corolla - OEM FX Projectors w/FX-R Lense|
    |Maxima - TL Projectors|

Senior Member LORD XENON gearbox's Avatar
    load resistors will dim leds, but it should not be noticable. most of those are only 1 ohm which is like nothing. they are big and hi watt, which does not affect the led brightness, only the load and how much heat they can take without burning up. if your leds are noticably dimmer wired up when compared to straight off the battery, you could have a voltage drop problem. try measuring the voltage at the led array compared to at the battery. see if they are the same.

Senior Member HID MASTER azdave's Avatar
    Actually 1 ohm is a big load to add (because you are simulating the bulb that used to be there) so what you are seeing is the voltage drop from placing a high current device out in the system on the same wires as the LEDs.

If you connect that load right at the battery the LEDs will stay the same brightness but if you place that load down the line with the turn signal LEDs you will see the voltage drop in the wires. Yet another reason to use low-loss regulators to help maintain LED brightness.

With LEDs your harness wiring has no problem delivering good voltage and current to the end of the wires but if you put a larger load out there it will cause a voltage drop as the wire diameter and length affects that directly.

never figured out why that flasher relay did that, i immediately took it out and ran it with the fast flash
    NO SQUID HERE

my feedback;
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37426

my first led project; Toyota Pickup fr turn signals
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/view...842&highlight=

Toyota pickup retro, 7x6
    http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...tro-with-MH1-s

Senior Member LORD XENON gearbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CBRrider
    i just noticed tonight when i was testing my signals in the garage that i have a similar issue. i have 21w rear signal filament bulbs, 4-led superflux amber sidemarkers, and 48-led 5mm amber (5w) led cluster in each headlamp for the front signals. im using a tridon LED flasher relay which flashes slightly faster than stock at 80 flash/min instead of 60 flash/min. no hyperflash. it starts with one long flash, then starts blinking normally. well the problem is the front leds are really bright for the first flash, but after they start blinking the brightness dims down noticably. its still okay and visible, but nowhere near what it should be. if i turn on my drl module, which keeps the front signals on in full bright mode (bypassing the flasher unless signal is used), the leds look very bright and nice. as soon as they start blinking, brightness goes down. is this caused by the led relay? the rear filaments seem unaffected but both front led clusters and sidemarkers are having a problem. i really dont want hyperflash when i have rear filament bulbs cause it wont get bright fast enough. is there a way around this and why is it happening?

Senior Member HID Recruit White 190E 2.6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gearbox
    is this caused by the led relay? the rear filaments seem unaffected but both front led clusters and sidemarkers are having a problem. i really dont want hyperflash when i have rear filament bulbs cause it wont get bright fast enough. is there a way around this and why is it happening?
    Just wanted to add my 2¢ : I just finished an led array for my corner lights on my blazer and put in one of the trindon variable load flashers. If this is what you mean by led flasher, then I would think that the relay itself isn't the problem. On mine I have absolutely no dimming that occurs due to the relay. I however am using a two pin relay. It's possible the more complicated relays have the dimming problem.

edit: just thought of something. I am using voltage regs on my led arrays. Are either of you two who have had the problems using voltage regs?
    With my blazer running at 14.5v and a voltage reg that only needs 12.5v to output 12v, it's possible that due to the 2 extra volts I have that the dimming effect is thus negated.
    1977 Ford Ranchero w/351m.....resto on hold
    1984 Mercedes Euro 500 SEC.....off the road for rebuild
    1987 Mercedes 190E 2.6.....almost done with rebuild then for sale
    1989 Chevy S10 Blazer......probably about to be totaled by ins co.
    1990 Chevy Suburban.....off road & towing and current daily