Thread: HID lights taking long time to turn on

New Member HID Newbie

HID lights taking long time to turn on

I had a guy do a HID conversion on my 2000 Acura Integra about 5 years ago. He used to run a website called illusion-lighting.com but I think he stopped a while back.

Well my problem is nowadays the lights are taking a long time, sometimes 30 secs, earlier today as long as a couple minutes to turn on.

Some things I noticed were the driver side light used to pop on a split second after the passenger side. Upon investigating, I noticed a section of wiring that appeared to have been burnt. I'm guessing the connection was bad and loose. After cutting that section out and reconnecting in a more secure manner, both lights pop on simultaneously.

I don't know what's causing the delay in turning on. Is it the ballasts? I'm not good at all with electrical wiring so I don't know where the problem is.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance

Junior Member HID Newbie
    sounds like u dont have a relay harness and ur OEM wires are going bad
    houston-imports.com

New Member HID Newbie
    I'm a newbie so I don't know all the ground rules here but I was wondering if I can ask for someone's assistance? I know there's the buy/trade section but I wasn't sure if this request fits that category.

What I'm asking is if there's anyone out there that would be gracious enough to diagnose and fix my lighting problem as I'm not confident in my electrical skills (as I have none). I'll of course pay for whatever replacement parts are needed and for your assistance.

My car's a 2000 Acura Integra and the retrofit was done back in Nov. '03.

Senior Member HID Rookie
    Does your wiring harness run off of your battery? If not you will want to buy a new wiring harness that has a relay on it. You can buy it from theretrofitsource dot com. (not sure if his site is restricted from being posted, but hid planet doesnt sell harnesses so I dont see the harm).

New Member HID Newbie
    I know there's at least one wire attached to the battery. And I replaced the battery a little over 1 year ago.

Senior Member HID MASTER DarkAngel's Avatar
    Are they KIT ballasts(Aftermarket Ballasts) and not OEM? You said you had one wire going to your battery, is it part of a harness? Please elaborate more on your set up. I have had no problems at all with my setup and they turn on every time. Could also be a bad relay if you had a harness made. I made my own dual relay harness and used 14-16 Gauge Wire for it. Made them separate from each other as to eliminate any faults. I also soldered all the joints except for where the connectors connect with each other If one were to burn out or stop working at least I would still get home with the other still on if a relay failed.

Pictures are great as well if possible.
    06 Regal Blue / Silver Subaru Impreza Outback Sport SE <-- Wife ( StI hId UpGrAdE iN pRoGrEsS )

03 Classic Red Mazda Protege 5 <-- My DD ( HiD rEtRo In PrOgReSs )