Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hid bulbs keep burning out..pics

hid bulbs keep burning out..pics

i have an 04 acura tl...my hid bulb stopped working the other day. no flickering, no changing of color, just stopped working. i opened it up and found the original factory hid bulb was shattered. so i replaced it and the light was working fine for about an hour and then stopped working again. i open it again and the bulb is burnt out. heres a pic of the original bulb

heres a pic of the second bulb that burnt out

what could be causing this? do u think its a bad ballast or a bad igniter? i want to avoid the dealership bc im out of warranty and i can replace these items myself. but i dont know whats causing the problem and i cant keep going through new bulbs to try and troubleshoot. a friend had mentioned that it might be incorrect starting voltage from the ballast. what do u guys think? thanks

also, all the wiring looks fine and the connections look fine. the only thing that seems sketchy is the bottom of the ballast. its all rusted. but otherwise the connections show no signs of rust.

Senior Member HID KING
    If its rusted outside, its probably corroded inside causing instability it other electrical problems. Open the ballast casing to inspect for anything bad inside.

Quote Originally Posted by CoZZm0_AU
    If its rusted outside, its probably corroded inside causing instability it other electrical problems. Open the ballast casing to inspect for anything bad inside.
    ok...well i just switched igniters and the other hid is working fine. i guess its a bad ballast then...im gonna open it up and take some pics

GOD DAMMIT...i thought all was well with the igniter...i guess not..turned the hids on and off 3 times in a matter of 5 minutes and the bulb just burnt out again. now i know its definitely the igniter. im just wondering if the ballast is bad too...this is crazy...now i need 2 bulbs instead of one

Senior Member HID KING
    the rusted ballast may have damaged the igniter.

Senior Member HID Rookie
    BURNED OUT BULB?!?!? IT SHATTERED!

I never saw a shattered bulb... The bulbs normally last 10+ years, they just get pink and put off no light, they never really stop working.

If the bulb is shattering... Something MAJOR is going on. I suppose its possible the ballast is doing this, but i would think its unlikely. Im leaning towards water in the headlight.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK
    BURNED OUT BULB?!?!? IT SHATTERED!

I never saw a shattered bulb... The bulbs normally last 10+ years, they just get pink and put off no light, they never really stop working.

If the bulb is shattering... Something MAJOR is going on. I suppose its possible the ballast is doing this, but i would think its unlikely. Im leaning towards water in the headlight.
    ive never seen moisture in the headlight and i dont see any signs of water damage inside the light. im sure its still possible but i dont know. i was going to buy a new ballast and a new igniter and i was hoping that fixes the problem. do u think it could be something more?

Senior Member HID Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by bentz69
    ive never seen moisture in the headlight and i dont see any signs of water damage inside the light. im sure its still possible but i dont know. i was going to buy a new ballast and a new igniter and i was hoping that fixes the problem. do u think it could be something more?
    I dont have experience with anything like this, so i dont know...

But thats kinda crazy if the ballast is doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK
    Quote Originally Posted by bentz69
    I dont have experience with anything like this, so i dont know...

But thats kinda crazy if the ballast is doing this.
    as of now, i bought a new igniter and some cheap d2s bulbs to try and troubleshoot this problem. hopefully it was the igniter and i dont have to buy a new ballast also.

is there a way to test the ballast to see if its running the right amount of volts or whatever?

You can get a salvaged OEM ballast for $50. A corroded case on the ballast should be your first sign that something may be damaged within.

'00 Tacoma 4x4, '02 S2000, '06 FZ6: 3 vehicles, 3 sets of OEM HID projectors. Seeing is believing!