Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID setup/Battery Drain

Junior Member HID Newbie 808MAX-SPEC's Avatar

HID setup/Battery Drain

I finally finished my retrofit and I hooked everything up late yesterday afternoon. This morning my car wouldn't start. Car turns over so it's not the starter. Stereo, alarm, trunk release and power locks work. I took a volt reading on the battery and it read 11.67 volts. My Optima Red Top just made four years old and I'm guessing it's time for a new battery. I'm hoping it is the battery and not the HID setup. Thoughts?

Senior Member HID Guru another_person's Avatar
    There shouldn't be any reason for the ballast to drain the battery since you're using a relay harness that only draws power from the battery when the relay is triggered.

That's what i was thinking but I wanted to be sure. And it's just by coincidence that my battery goes south on me.

Senior Member HID KING Ocelaris's Avatar
    battery voltage is not a good indicator of batter charge, because the voltage is only like 1 volt difference from fully changed to fully drained...

If your harness has a normally opened contact, it is possible to be draining the battery... or if you were running the headlights with the car off for a long time it also might do it.

If you have a normal harness, it should not drain the battery...

It is possible to wire a harness wrong so it does pull some power at all times.

Senior Member HID Guru
    if the car turns over, it's also not the battery
    the starter requires the most amperage, especially at cold startup w/ cold battery

but if u insist, go somewhere and ask them to check the battery
    voltage isn't everything, though fully charged battery = 12.6V

Senior Member HID Recruit vietfrost's Avatar
    Take the battery to autozone and have a free load test. That should tell you if its just time for the battery to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocelaris
    battery voltage is not a good indicator of batter charge, because the voltage is only like 1 volt difference from fully changed to fully drained...

If your harness has a normally opened contact, it is possible to be draining the battery... or if you were running the headlights with the car off for a long time it also might do it.

If you have a normal harness, it should not drain the battery...

It is possible to wire a harness wrong so it does pull some power at all times.
    I'm using your H4 to bi-xenon or two bulb circuit wiring diagram for my harness. I re-drew the diagram so I could understand it. I will double check the harness design to make sure it's not drawing power when I hook it up.

Senior Member HID Rookie
    optimas normally last 10+ years, and a battery shouldnt really just go WHAM im dead. Id say give it a good long zap on a charger to get it hardcore charged, overcharged if possible and see if it comes back. Did you have the headlights on and off for a while, and or is it getting cold there?

Batteries dont like to come back from dead, but i bet it would be fine with a good charge.

Quote Originally Posted by getbigtony
    if the car turns over, it's also not the battery
    the starter requires the most amperage, especially at cold startup w/ cold battery

but if u insist, go somewhere and ask them to check the battery
    voltage isn't everything, though fully charged battery = 12.6V
    I borrowed another battery and got my Maxima to start. I'm going to get a new one today at Sears and have them double check the old one. I will also have my alternator checked out to make sure it's charging properly. Until I know everything works, my retrofitted headlight will stay off.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK
    optimas normally last 10+ years, and a battery shouldnt really just go WHAM im dead. Id say give it a good long zap on a charger to get it hardcore charged, overcharged if possible and see if it comes back. Did you have the headlights on and off for a while, and or is it getting cold there?

Batteries dont like to come back from dead, but i bet it would be fine with a good charge.
    I was testing my HIDs but they were not on for more than 30 seconds at a time. I've also been through a rash of bad alternators too. We shall see.