Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HID bulb install????

New Member HID Newbie

HID bulb install????

Hi there,

I have installed a set of H1 PnP 8k kit into my prelude. But the bulbs didnt really stay in place because the HID bulbs plastic back piece was shorter than the stock halogen bulb and the metal retaining clip couldn't press firmly against the back of the bulb to firmly keep the bulb in place.

I rigged something up to keep in place. After a while I didn't like the 8k look and bought a set of 6K bulbs and the same thing.

I know you guys must have run into a similar problem with other cars. Anyone got a legimate fix for it?

thanks

Senior Member HID KING striker_1818's Avatar

Re: HID bulb install????

Quote Originally Posted by shawna
    Hi there,

I have installed a set of H1 PnP 8k kit into my prelude. But the bulbs didnt really stay in place because the HID bulbs plastic back piece was shorter than the stock halogen bulb and the metal retaining clip couldn't press firmly against the back of the bulb to firmly keep the bulb in place.

I rigged something up to keep in place. After a while I didn't like the 8k look and bought a set of 6K bulbs and the same thing.

I know you guys must have run into a similar problem with other cars. Anyone got a legimate fix for it?

thanks
    yeah, retrofit.
    Most aftermarkets parts won't fit 100% or even 80% as you'd know if you buy an intake or exhaust.
    It all depends on who the supplier is and if they have 100% feedback then you know you're getting somewhat quality.

New Member HID Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by striker_1818
    Hi there,

thanks
    yeah, retrofit.

Most aftermarkets parts won't fit 100% or even 80% as you'd know if you buy an intake or exhaust.
    It all depends on who the supplier is and if they have 100% feedback then you know you're getting somewhat quality.

I can understand why the bulb would not fit in 100% because the H1 bulb unplugs from its own plastic connector and than that plastic connector connects to the car's headlight wiring harnass. Each car maker could have a different size for that plastic connector.

Just wondering if anyone makes a plastic 'shim' piece for specifics cars...

I can understand why the bulb would not fit in 100% because the H1 bulb unplugs from its own plastic connector and than that plastic connector connects to the car's headlight wiring harnass. Each car maker could have a different size for that plastic connector.

Prelude should have one clip that secure the bulb in place. All H1 are the same really. Should be a vertical clip, correct? Never owned a prelude so i can't help you much here.

New Member HID Newbie

Prelude should have one clip that secure the bulb in place. All H1 are the same really. Should be a vertical clip, correct? Never owned a prelude so i can't help you much here.
    that is correct.. but the factory prelude bulb plugs into a plastic connector. that connector then plugs into the wiring harness..

the hid bulbs are the same size as the factory H1 bulb and cannot/need to plug into the plastic connector.. since the plastic connector is not there. the metal retaining clip cannot hold the assembly in place correctly..

<----|PC|WH

h1|plastic connector| wiring harness

that is how the factory looks like where the metal clip is in between the PC and the WH

HID

<----| wiring

without that plastic connector piece so the metal clip has nothing to push against to keep the bulb firmly in place

New Member HID Newbie

Did you fix this issue? I got same problem with R32 GTR and i purchased 6000k H1 Bosch HID kit

that is correct.. but the factory prelude bulb plugs into a plastic connector. that connector then plugs into the wiring harness..

the hid bulbs are the same size as the factory H1 bulb and cannot/need to plug into the plastic connector.. since the plastic connector is not there. the metal retaining clip cannot hold the assembly in place correctly..

<----|PC|WH

that is how the factory looks like where the metal clip is in between the PC and the WH

HID

<----| wiring

without that plastic connector piece so the metal clip has nothing to push against to keep the bulb firmly in place

New Member HID Newbie

No, I did not. What I did was I bought a set of projectors on ebay and the H1s plugged in prefectly.

However, on my friends Mazda3. We had the same problem. We ended up going to Home Depot and bought some bath drain plugs. Those rubber plugs that you plug into the drain when you take a bath to prevent the water from going down the drain. And we cut them the proper size and turned out decent.

Quote Originally Posted by R34NOS
    Did you fix this issue? I got same problem with R32 GTR and i purchased 6000k H1 Bosch HID kit

<----|PC|WH

HID

<----| wiring

Senior Member HID KING Ocelaris's Avatar
    One thing you have to consider is that the focal point is often times off when you 'shim' the bulbs off/back. It's suspect whether a plug and play bulb can fit in the same location focus wise, because one has a filament, and one has an arc tube... but when you factor in bulb length, it's a toss up... play around with the bulb in the reflector to see where you get the best light.

New Member HID Newbie

plastic clip

I had the same problem on my cr-v 2005.
    But I made a bracket in aluminum exactly the same as the plastic one an it hold the buld in there firmly.

dude get that kit off that cr-v.
    come on now u'll have more glare bc the CR-V is a taller car.
    Stick with halogens as the headlights are pretty decent.