Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: JnC's Mounting Method (with Rotational Adj Capability)

Senior Member HID Recruit civicdrivr's Avatar
    I used a rather thick gauge sheet of aluminum for my brackets and some standard galvanized bolts. Been holding up for well over a year.
    2003 Acura CL-S 6MT, TSX Clear Lense Projectors, 85122+ Bulbs

Senior Member HID Recruit
    Quote Originally Posted by Chett says View Post
    What material is everyone using for their screws, washers, and nuts? Lowes and Home Depot have the normal galvanized stuff, some aluminum, and a very limited selection of stainless steel. Neither of these places carry stainless steel sheets, at least not in my area. I'm sure it wouldn't be any trouble to find some elsewhere, but is it absolutely necessary? Are there any disadvantages to using another material?
    aluminum can be rather tedious to bend as it tends to crack. galvanized parts shouldn't be an issue although I am using the stainless hex bolts that are in the drawers for many of my mounts. if you want to drill and tap threads it will hold up better in steel then it will in aluminum.

Junior Member HID Newbie
    I picked up all stainless steel bolts, nuts, and washers at a local hardware store. I'm going to run by a supply shop tomorrow and see what they can do about a stainless steel sheet. I'm still blown away that neither Home Depot nor Lowes carry any.
    2010 Civic Si Sedan : retrofit scrapped : vehicle pending sale
    1991 Ealgle Talon TSi AWD : FX-R Stage III retrofit in progress
    2001 Accord LX : needs some lighting work

Senior Member HID Learner
    I just started this method tonight after messing with trying to mount from the rear and failing almost scrapping the whole project.

My question is what are the advantages of the spring method vs the one on the front page and reasons for either? The one I started with tonight was the threaded brackets got it all together nicely but it doesn't seem to adjust that great.

And By the way I didn't see it posted anywhere but I bought angled aluminum from Ace Hardware it was already bent perfect got like 4 feet for 10$ just drilled the holes tapped and cut them to size worked amazing. Didnt have to bend anything

I'm not sure what's in the first post, but the spring allow you to adjust up and down the bracket. This adjustment will rotate the projector around the other mounting point(s) which also have spring to give you compliance while provide rigid enough connection.

The angle rotation capability is depending on how much degree of freedon you have on the other 2 mounting points. The longer the adjustment travel (longer bracket and spring), the more angle you can rotate. Mine is about 3-5 degree, that should be enough for fine tuning. Picture below is Valeo D1S on 6th gen Accord reflector. 2 mounting on the bottom, 1 point at the top.

IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3612.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    Last edited by Genes1s; March 13th, 2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: more pictures

New Member Spam???
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU200 View Post
    I'm not sure what's in the first post, but the spring allow you to adjust up and down the bracket. This adjustment will rotate the projector around the other mounting point(s) which also have spring to give you compliance while provide rigid enough connection.

The angle rotation capability is depending on how much degree of freedon you have on the other 2 mounting points. The longer the adjustment travel (longer bracket and spring), the more angle you can rotate. Mine is about 3-5 degree, that should be enough for fine tuning. Picture below is Valeo D1S on 6th gen Accord reflector. 2 mounting on the bottom, 1 point at the top.

IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3612.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    Can you post how you filled that slot in the bottom of the light so moisture wouldn't get in and fog the inside of the lense?

Senior Member HID Learner
    The first post is tapping the brackets so thatthe bolt threads through them thats how I have done it so far just trying to make sure that it will be the right things to do guess worst case I can bore out the bracket and try the spring.

Senior Member HID MASTER Blurred Talon's Avatar
    I'm curious if this meth will work flipped over, with the rotational adjustment on top of the reflector bucket and the pitch adjustment on the bottom?

Do to the limited space in my retro, this is my only option.

I'm gonna get some bolts at the hardware store tonight, already have some L brackets.

Brightening Up Your Day LORD XENON gold94corolla's Avatar
    Yes, it should work just as well (this is how I mounted my 4 FX-Rs if you remember)

Senior Member HID MASTER Blurred Talon's Avatar
    I've got the stuff I need to try it so I'll give it a shot tonight. Only going to be a trial run so to speak but if it works I'll do the real deal on the car this weekend (thank god for having 2 sets of headlights).

Another thing I'm curious about, if the stock bulb sits in the reflector on an angle (say like this \ when viewed from the top) does that mean that the projector must sit like that also?