Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabling VW jetta DRL's

Senior Member HID Rookie

Disabling VW jetta DRL's

when ever i eventually get my headlight problem fixed i want to disable my DRL's. how can i go about that? it is a 99 vw jetta late body style when stock it uses 9007 bulbs but im about to put aftermarket headlamps on it that use H1 for both high & low beam. also one other thing if i retro'd in some HID's but still had the low beam DRL's would it screw up the HID's?

Senior Member HID Rookie
    Push headlight switch knob in and turn to right. Remove swtich & connector. Locate TFL pin and bend it down. Reinstall

Senior Member HID FANATIC linuxglobal's Avatar
    if drl is on high beam then it will not affect the hids.

Im not sure about the 99, but the 2002 (i think) has separate wire running to the healdights that is specific for DRL, remove that wire at the headlights and u should be done.
    Ciprian || Linuxglobal Headlights: (647) 492-1127
    Retrofit count: 245 (June 25 2014)
    Follow me on FaceBook Linuxglobal on YouTube
    Hidplanet Retrofitters Hidplanet University Buy/Sell Forum Rules My feedback

Senior Member HID Rookie
    all the MK4's are the same for Disabling the DRLs.

Now... keep the low beams on with the high beams, you need to jumper the lights-- go search the vortex. There is a good thread (may be in one of the FAQ's for the MKIV forum)

Senior Member HID Rookie
    can anyone here vouch for if bending the TFL pin idea would work? no offense to you just dont wanna take stuff apart if i dont have to

Senior Member HID Learner Gregory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylecamaro20
    can anyone here vouch for if bending the TFL pin idea would work? no offense to you just dont wanna take stuff apart if i dont have to
    I did the same thing with Toyota Camry. I went to my electric guy, and he disabled the DRL light through the computer. So thats what I would try before bending stuff.

I did this about two weeks ago and never looked back. It's incredibly easy to do.

Senior Member HID Rookie
    Are you that carpenter on Vortex that made a wood floor in your trunk ?

Anyways, I'd not bend the pins, it's kinda halfassed solutions to me, being an electrician. I'm gonna change my light layout completely, moving the fog lights, making LED DRLs, use OEM xenon/Hid lights, and have all of that controlled from the OEM Euroswitch. So I'm making an adaptor that changes around the wiring. That's also easier to change back.

So you can make an adaptor for it. I'd be surpriced if DRLs aren't possible to disable with VAG com on the car too.

But bending the pin WORKS. It's just if you wanna get the job done right now, or if you wanna get the job done right.

Senior Member HID Rookie WuNgUnSVT's Avatar
    Ummm, there should be a seperate relay for the DRL...pull it out and chuck it!

Junior Member HID Newbie
    I would suggest putting electrical tape over the pin rather than bending it. Might be tidier, but seems less destructive.

Also, if blocking TFL pin doesn't work, try B pin. That was my case and with B blocked, it worked perfectly.