Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headlights and rubbing compound

Senior Member HID Rookie battlinmoses's Avatar

Headlights and rubbing compound

I need to clear my headlights bad, i just finished my retro and it was going beautifully until i put my headlight lenses on. I kinda knew this was goin to happen and was waiting to finish and seal it up to clear them.

What is the best rubbing compound to use. I know 3m has some, but can i just use meguiers plastix? I have the mequiers plastic posish to finish it up. Please respond with your info

I know there is a thread in the university but got mixed results. Any personal experiance with any one would be great

Thanks
    M

99 GTP Ported Supercharger-3.4 pulley swap-zzp 1.0 pcm/k n custom fwi/msd/tbspacer/racecat/u-bend and resonator delete custom grill/ magnaflow exhaust/cross drilled and slotted rotors/rx330 hybrid 300zx clear lens and custom shield

Senior Member HID Learner maroonaccord2.2's Avatar
    Well Meguire's aluminum polish compound followed by the plastic polish is the combo that I've been hearing good things about. More abrasive to less abrasive obviously. I'd try a test piece before trying it on your lenses obviously.

it sounds good in theory, but wouldnt the aluminum polish be too abrasive? I know you gotta sand them(abrasive), but the plastic polish is non-abrasive it says. Anybody tried to aluminum polish? How is it in comparison to rubbing compound?

99 GTP Ported Supercharger-3.4 pulley swap-zzp 1.0 pcm/k n custom fwi/msd/tbspacer/racecat/u-bend and resonator delete custom grill/ magnaflow exhaust/cross drilled and slotted rotors/rx330 hybrid 300zx clear lens and custom shield

Mr. Clean Beam HID MASTER greenkouki's Avatar
    i've always progressively wetsanded the oxidation off then clearcoated and polished and waxed.
    *I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Need your s2k, rx330, rx350, mdx, maxima, rx8, miata, 4gTL or sti projectors modded for better performance/cutoff? PM me.

Senior Member HID MASTER
    Ive wetsanded prelude headlights with paint polish going from abrasive to finishing compount then finalizing it with a good polish. Worked great for heavily oxidated lenses, only bad thing is that in some cases you are removing the UV coating which will allow the lens to oxidize again quickly unless you protect it with a film or some kind of coating.

^ indeed. sometimes it removes what is left of the uv filter. try to find a uv blocking headlamp film or uv blocking clearcoat if you decide to wetsand the lenses, because after a few weeks they will start to oxidize again
    *I will be unavailable for projector modding and retrofits until further notice*

Need your s2k, rx330, rx350, mdx, maxima, rx8, miata, 4gTL or sti projectors modded for better performance/cutoff? PM me.

Mine never oxidized. When i put them in the oven the uv coating or, whatever the film was on top of my headlight lens, pitted and looked haggard while fing the color and output.

I proceded to wet sand with 1500 and then 2000 grit because it wasnt that bad. I got all the pitting and funk off and it is smooth as silk. My main question from the beginning was, What Is The Best Rubbing Compound

right now i am driving around with a wetsand driver headlight, it is not fun. Tom i while get some compound and work it in, i just wanna know what the recomended kind would be.

THNX
    -M

metal polish works as a rubbing compound, it's about as abrasive. or just 3m compound is probably your best bet

well i waxed mine like i wax my car. cleaner wax then polish then plastic polish then yellow wax then polish then some more wax and it looked like fiji water when i was through
    32v thats 8 human hearts dropped when they hear it
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/lacboi

go to auto zone and pick up some 5 minute light cleaner. Its a little pad that you attach to a drill and it will buff out your lights. follow it with some meguires plastic cleaner. it works great!