Thread: Brightest 1157 LED Bulb? Tower or High-Powered 3 Watt Luxeon

Junior Member HID Newbie

Brightest 1157 LED Bulb? Tower or High-Powered 3 Watt Luxeon

Sorry for asking a LED newbie question.

I’m trying to keep my clearance lights bright, while maintaining a deep rich color that halogen bulbs can’t seem to deliver. Halogen bulbs seam to be plenty bright, but seem to burn very dull, without a pureness to the color. LEDs tend to seam richer, keep heat down, a big big plus.

I noticed on Autoluminations that they offer 20-LED Towers & a High-Powered 3 Watt Luxeon Led bulb. (AKA Eagle Eye II)

Both are priced the same.

I'd say the 3 high power led units would be brighter.....

Also I'd say hit up Velocity led's on Ebay for the bulbs, they sell um cheaper and thier shipping will be lots quicker (I'ved ordered alot from autolumination and they take a week to get to my house, they're in AZ and I'm in UT....).

Senior Member HID Learner
    The Autolumination 'Eagle Eye II' 3 watt bulb has a single LED and is believed to be relatively narrow angle (approx 130 degrees). It is also believed to be heavily undervolved for the sake of reliability, therefore nowhere near as bright as a 3 watt running at full potential.

Autolumination now sell the same 3 x 1 watt bulb as Velocity_LEDs, though is much more expensive. If Velocity doesn't have the colour/fitting you are after, there's no other choice.

To answer the original question, the 20-LED Autolumination/TMI-LED tower is the best bulb for housing illumination. If this isn't an issue, the 3 watt bulbs are far brighter.

Junior Member HID Newbie
    You guys are awsome, Its half the price for autoluminations for the same thing!!

Thank you!

Senior Member HID Learner
    You may have noticed that Autolumination now also do an "outsize/supersize" Light Tower II bulb, which they have crammed 39 superflux LEDs onto.

It may be a bit too big for some applications, but I wonder if the output from it would get anywhere near or surpass the "Eagle Eye II" or "Velocity".

The reason for this is because I am having to decide whether it is worth continuing with the custom-made boards for my 1983 BMW 635CSi here in the UK (see also my posting on the Integra tail light cluster thread), or whether I should just order something from Autolumination instead.

I've tried the amber 3watt luxeon and was fairly disappointed. They're about as bright as the 18 flux led tower I got on eBay, at least it terms of how it subjectively looked in the housing and in lighting up a wall a few feet away.

The white 3 watt luxeon is utter garbage, the red one is just ok.

The vleds "high power" light was pretty good, but also not great. Whatever LEDs they use is awesome for a single 194 application, but in my experience the three are still not bright enough for 1156/1157.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjs
    I've tried the amber 3watt luxeon and was fairly disappointed. They're about as bright as the 18 flux led tower I got on eBay, at least it terms of how it subjectively looked in the housing and in lighting up a wall a few feet away.

The white 3 watt luxeon is utter garbage, the red one is just ok.

The vleds "high power" light was pretty good, but also not great. Whatever LEDs they use is awesome for a single 194 application, but in my experience the three are still not bright enough for 1156/1157.
    Were your bulbs behind fluted/diffused lenses? and at what angle was the bulb to the wall in the housing?

You say you've used these bulbs so than post up some pics of your output compaired to a halogen bulb..... Everybody's opinon will be subjective, but pics tell thier own story.