Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: aim HID headlights

Senior Member HID FANATIC linuxglobal's Avatar

HOW TO: aim HID headlights

I came up with this diagram a while back. The others agreed it was accurate as a guide. The only value that may vary includes the width between the beams (pic says 3-4 feet) however that varies by each vehicle.

I think it should be fairly useful for members that want to use an aiming guide instead of asking around each time.

Drops from red line are the following.

DOT:2.1-2.5 inch
    ECE: 3 inch

Good luck

Senior Member HID Rookie
    I think you should make it clearer that the 2.1"-2.5" is the distance between the upper part of the step and the centerline of headlight, bcs it looks like it's measured fron the bottom part of the step.

k ill zoom it up a little and point to the top gap. Thanks notsofast.

Senior Member HID Learner
    when retrofited already, is it possible to use the stock aiming pivot to aim? OR this had to be done prior to mounting the projectors on the headlights? wondering if I have to reaim my projectors since they are already retrofited by someone. I hope Im not blinding anyone on the road.

you should be able to aim them using the stock adjustment screws. Its the retrofitter's responsibility to adjust them horizontally and to fix the rotation angle of them.

I know some gm vehicles tilt the entire lamp but in any case the stock aiming screws or an alternative method has to be setup for later adjustment.

Senior Member HID Rookie
    Every diagram i have ever looked at uses the lower step at 2.1 inches down , not the higher one ...... which one is it? I used the lower one and i can see my cutoff on the ground on the road a fair ways up and i have never been flashed. That may be because i drive a lowered car though.

it shouldnt really matter if the car height is lower/higher, at 25 feet you should aim the cutoff at 2.1 DOT under the red line and 3 for ece. DOT is the highest at 2.1 inches.

I guess if you feel that you need more light you could aim it higher, but these are the general aiming guidelens, They are meant to help you aim your lights in all perspectives, vertical adjustment should be allowed to be adjustable later on just in case you do lower or raise the car you need to have control over that.

btw any pics of ur cutoff. Most hids will have a cutoff on the ground, even good halogen reflectors have them. Its okay if you can see the cutoff on the road, just as long as its not too close to the car.

Good luck

Senior Member HID Rookie
    i have a couple but they have to be resized , i aimed it by driving up to the right up to the wall , marking the lower step and then about 2.5 inches below it , i then backed up and aligned the lower step with the mark 2.5 inches below where it was at 0 ft i guess it woul dbe the same as using the higher step.

If you look at the Automotive Lighting FAQ stickied in this forum, you'll see that they say to aim using the lower step. This is their reasoning.

"The lowest cuttoff line should always be used for aiming. This would be the left part of cutoff line (unless u are in UK). The right side of it cannot be used as a reference, hight will vary depending on manufacturer and model. "

Any mods have an opinion on this? Which way is correct and if the higher step is suppose to be used, then the FAQ needs updating.

98 Civic EX - 05 Maxima Bixenon Projectors - Hella Gen 3 Ballasts - 4300K D2S Philips Bulbs
    06 RSX Type-S - 04-05 TSX Projectors - Stanley Ballasts - 4300K D2S Philips Bulbs

Senior Member HID Rookie
    that is the diagram i was referring to ... i couldnt remember where i saw it. It isnt the only one i have seen using the lower step though, while trying to find that one back i saw two others in a google search both using the lower step. Like the flare ece cutoffs would have to use the lower.